Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Pot's A-Growin! (part Un)

To my loyal readers (that would be all TWO of Ace and Skippy), here it is, an update of my Blog. Lucky you if you placed a bet on this day when I, Denis, finally update my long-hibernating poker blog.

Its almost a year since we high school buddies started getting together to play poker. Back then, it was 7-card Stud. I don't even remember if it was limit, pot limitt, or no limit. All I remember was that the betting was crazy, especially on nights following payday. Then, SportsPlus started showing the WPT, and we gamely took to NLHE. From the time we picked up our first pocket cards, we were hooked! As in at least 4 nights a week we were playing, either at my house or Kix's place. Come together at 9, and by 3 a.m., we'd have gone through 3 rounds of 7 or 8 -handed SNG.

In the early days (10 months ago), we had to content ourselves with the cheap plastic chips Pobs had, or Kix's mom's mahjong chips. We didn't care then, though I do remember spending a a fruitless day scouring 4 major malls in search of adequate chips. When we stumbled on a great deal on e-Bay for first set, and it finally got here, boy, it was like Christmas! Imagine a bunch of 29-year-olds drooling over a case of poker echips as if it were their first train set!

We now had the real-deal chips in our hands, and it further fueled our addiction. Our long poker nights were now filled with the clatter of 11.5 gram chips on my grandfather's long narra table.

It wasn't long after that when we decided to host our first MTT. We weren't quite sure we'd get a good number of players, but we did. And boy-oh-boy it was a tough field. Yes indeed, it was a tourney full of sharks! Yep, a certifiablr toughie... :)

From those days, we now have a quasi-legitimate poker scene, with a number of places you can regularly get a game, plus at least one MTT a month.

(I gotta go and take a nap before hitting the River Room. More to come. Hope it doesn't take me another 3 months for Part Deux)

1 Comments:

Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

Denis,

add me to the list of your readers. welcome back! hehe

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home