Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Fold

He never should have been allowed to get a piece of the game. But he did, and poker here might never be the same.

I was shocked when I got the text message at almost 3 a.m. Saturday. But it was bound to happen, and likely moreso now that a sleazebag was involved. That was it, we were closing, no ifs, ands, or buts. Even before we came together Sunday night to make things formal, it was already decided. Pack up and change gears.

It saddened me that at least two of the River Room regulars got caught in the crossfire. Two very nice guys, buddies who, even without the GAME, we’d still probably have beers with. They just wanted to play, and weren’t aware of the sleazebag, and the shitstorm he was about to bring on the game.

I’d like to think that in a big way, the country’s first ever NLHE MTT we hosted last April sparked what the game is today (or what it could have been?). It felt great to put together that event and the next: 30+ friends coming together to play a very enjoyable game, respectable types – young students, entrepreneurs, and executives. In a sense, a very genteel gig, no sleazebags. The first tourney Nick G hosted was even more genteel: free beer, wine, and get this… ORDEURVES! (did I even spell that right?)

As much as the excitement of playing, more than the cash I’ve won (am I even up?), I will always be up just for the friends I’ve made over the past few months (incomplete, and in no particular order: Ace S (man, we never got to buy you as many beers as you’ve bought us!), Nick and Barbie G, Skippy, Dirty Ice Cream, Pit Boss, and the rest of A55 (the first crew we came across who loved the game as much as we did); K, Gentle Giant and Mr. “This here’s the BIG BOY table” Sean; Grant and Kimpossible (you still have to cook us some Pho. Oh, I forgot, I gotta find the ox tail first); Gino “I got bad beat, parrrrrrre,” Will, Jacob, Joseph, and the rest of their gang; Ryan, Ron, and RJ “Gabby Concepcion” (I will forever be wary of actors!); Big Han and Little Han; The All-in Attorneys, Aris “I LIMP in”; Kustom Kowboys; and the Queens who’ve graced our humble little hang-out: Kath and Erika A (Always play The Denis!)…and many, many others.

Though that sounded like a farewell litany of thanks, this is by no means the last you’ll hear of us. This was just as good a time as any to recognize the people who’ve turned us a profit – not for their buy-ins – but for their friendship.

Remembering them also helps mitigate how pissed-off and depressed I am at the moment.

Ironic how that now, when we’ve been overflowing with players, we’ve got to back away a bit from the game. As they say, “thaaaaat’s Poker!” – when you’re holding pocket aces, and scheming on how to make the most of it, the flop shows a better hand for somebody else, and you’re left with nothing to do but suck it in and walk away.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maverick said...

hors 'doeuvres pare hehe

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home