Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Denis

Look on top, and you’ll see I’ve renamed this blog “Pinoy Poker – The Denis.” I'm re-branding this blog in honor of my power pocket cards: Jack-7.

Scoff if you will, but J-7 has won me many a hand. You deal me J-7, and I’ll hold on to it, raise it even. I just gotta. The times I doubted them, and folded, flop comes out with at least one of them, turn and river either two-pairing it, and sometimes filling out a set or a straight.

I play it so often, that the River Room Regulars have come to call those pocket cards “The Denis.”

A few weeks back, when Erika had first visited the River Room, she comes up to me and says: “Hey, I heard there was a hand called The Denis.” Oh, my substantial ego grew with that recognition. And a few weeks later, she comes back to tell me that she always plays The Denis, and wins!

Gino, Will, and a few other guys often raise a hand, saying to me “I just gotta raise this for you Denis.” Oh what sweet compliment.

Kix later tells me that according to a chart he saw, The Denis is the middlemost of all the possible pocket cards.

No doubt, they are marginal cards. But most hardly call with a Denis, though some would raise with the A-J. Coming into a pot though, where no one is holding the J, and the J comes out on the flop, you can be sure that someone will call you holding the over cards (or at least one). And as long as the turn and river stay low, you can be assured of a profitable pot.

Yes, I can just imagine that someday, the commentators of the WPT and WSOP will include in their lexicon, along with:

…Pocket Rockets…
…Big Slick…
…Sigfried and Roy…
…The Dollies…

…THE DENIS!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home